Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thje Eclipse, 2009 (Grade C)

Director Conor McPherson
Awards? none that I know of
Cast: Ciaran Hinds; Iben Hjejle; Aidan Quinn; Dorothy Cotter; Eanna Hardwicke; Hannah Lynch; Jim Norton; Hilary O'Shaughnessy

sez says:  I wanted to see this because I just saw a play by Conor McPhearson (The Lime Tree Bower) which I liked very much--and I understand that is suppose to be made into a movie. I couldn't find that movie but I found this one instead--so I sent away for it, just to see what other things he is doing. McPherson co-wrote the screen play for this (along with the author of the story) and he directed the film.  The film is lovely and it is a pleasure to watch.  McPherson's love for Ireland shows.  The story on the other hand is a bit obtuse. It has elements of a Horror Flick / Supernatural Tale--complete with ghoulish ghosts. But it seems to want to be something else entirely. This is a story about a man who has lost his wife and is now a single father (Ciaran Hinds--does a fine nuanced job with this role). He is a high school teacher, who helps-out at the local literary awards ceremony and who is a closet writer himself. There are some snide --but probably accurate -- and sometimes funny presentations of the literary establishment --and of best selling authors. Then there is a female writer/love interest who show us at the conference. She writes about ghosts, which is most convenient because our protagonist has just begun to be visited by ghosts.  oh my-- given this set up it is all pretty predictable.  But it does not end with gore.  Rather it seems to want to be about grief and how to escape a loss of tremendous magnitude. But it doesn't make itself clear--so I fear it wouldn't appeal to the horror-movie crowd --nor to the crowd lloking for a Sensitive-Drama.  (Grade C)    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment