Monday, January 18, 2010

Taking Woodstock, 2009

Director:  Ang Lee


Starring:  Henry Goodman; Imelda Staunton
IMDB Link:  Taking Woodstock

mjc says:  I missed Woodstock and I was only a few miles away in seminary in NYC, hanging out in Greenwich Village but straight as an arrow, well almost.  So, the images and people in this movie rang true to me.  I knew them in Greenwich Village in those days when I had a mission:  to bring revolution to the stoned hippies.  Alas, when I wasn't looking they all went upstate to Woodstock.  Yes, there were some weak scenes in this movie but it, like I said, it rang true and I remembered these types that I bumped into on the streets and in the park.  So I was glad to be sitting in the dark and watching the psychedelic posters roll by on the insides of the VW buses. 

sez says: yawn -- too bad, this looked like it could be fun, but there really wasn't much story. It goes like this: Young man wants to help his parent save their family business so he helps bring the Woodstock Nation to town for a big concert. Lots of local people make a lot of money.  Some prejudiced locals are angry and helpless in the face of the invasion...yawn again.  There is some outstanding acting, such as Imelda Staunton as the mother! Wow she is good.  And there is a part of the film where the best of the ideals of  the Woodstock Nation begins to emerge as more than a dream but as a moment when a bit of utopia right here on earth happened: people really were free and easy, creative and caring, at large and happy. What a moment that was...but it is as beief in the movie as it was in reality. fleeting --then back to reality...yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment